In connection with the process of consultation for the summary of The National Plan for the European Integration 2016-2020 (NPEI), to the Observatory for Children’s right was requested by the Ministry of Integration to give some comment as follows :
- In the chapter for the civil society we think that is included the necessary legal framework. But there is still to much work to be supported by donations and increasing cooperation with state institutions that will affect the continuity of the projects after their completion and raising the level of a service that can provide state.
- For human rights in general and children in particular there are included measures for financial statements from 2016 to 2020, the improvement of law 10347 “Protection of children’s rights” gives more importance to strengthening CPU’s that works at local units through the budget support. In reality so far these units are not yet supported in the budget and are not strengthened in terms of staff. This has contributed to the lack of effectiveness of their work. The intermediate level of the child protection system, a regionally (CRU’s), in some counties are cut or suspended (for budgetary reasons) that does not go one with the strategy of improving and strengthening the protection of children’s rights.
- At the area of protection of children’s rights we would suggest the growth/strengthening of the professionals capacities working in this field.
- For the accountability of local government to the problem of violence against children there is a lot to do. Even child-friendly justice is still far of being such ranging from work in police stations, the process of the investigation, interview, the necessary facilities for children, police and prison professionalism staff and judges as well.
- In the National Plan 2016-2020 for Roma and Egyptians is giving importance to social housing and education. This document states that the Ministry of Urban Development has developed the draft strategy of social housing and its Plan of Action to be approved in 2016 while this problem is old and urgent not only for Roma and Egyptians but also for the poor and homeless families of the other majority Social houses are not yet delivered while always it talk about strategies and action plans emphasising the phrase “will do…”.
- In the area of social protection in NPEI 2016-2020 is foreseen the social services reform towards decentralization of social services and social care deinstitutionalization and creating electronic records of families benefiting from economic aid and disability scheme. So far in the direction of decentralization of social care services through the possibility of introducing alternative service (family -house, day centers, community service, etc.) more attempts are made by the private sector that often does not stretch as needed and it is not coordinated by the state. Local government, except for the municipality of Tirana, had no financial means to set up and fund themselves the social services or social care. The new administrative reform has just begun and it is not known yet how many will support the new budget, and whether municipalities will be able to generate funds that can be used in the field of social services and in the community care.
- Also in the field of social protection should be seen as a priority the minimization of the domestic violence through the National Strategy on Gender Equality and Domestic Violence designing and implementing prevention and rehabilitation plans not only for the victim but also and for the violator aiming the possibility of non-repetition of these phenomena .
- The document noted that the Albanian Government in the field of social policies still remain as recommendations; the strengthening and expansion of child protection mechanism, the benefit of integration policies for disadvantaged communities and the integration of persons with disabilities. In NPEI 2016-2020 we think there are missing the priorities for implementing these recommendations.
- Related to the unemployment statistics for 2015 the figures are not encouraging. If the 15-30 years age group accounting for 28% or 42539 of the total of unemployed jobseekers (excluding those who are not present at labor offices) programs implemented in 2015 for the promotion of employment and job-seekers included 5631 beneficiaries and 582 subjects, well very little compared with the overall size of unemployment of 151 926 unemployed jobseekers. Maybe are needed more efficient programs to reduce unemployment, especially among the youth.
- Regard to education it is of interest to us the giving priority to the preschool intervention (early childhood). This is important for improving the quality of this system and the work with children. The organization of this system would help also the reform in education .
- In legal terms we would suggest accelerating the adoption of draft-law for social enterprises as an opportunity for the vulnerable groups and society itself.
OBSERVATORY FOR CHILDREN’S RIGHTS